International Summer School
What Summer school students can expect in 2022
- 16 hours of focussed English classes each week
- New for 2022, CH CH CH CHANGES…
- The chance to meet students from other countries
- A ‘buddy’ process in place for your first day, so you will not be alone
- Fun afternoon activities such as Wet & Wild, Fun fair evening, Lazer Quest, Adventure Golf, Treasure Hunt, Volleyball, BBQ on the beach, cycling along the Brighton seafront, Bowling, Cinema afternoons and Traditional cookery classes from around the world. And much much more…
- Additionally, Two all day excursions each week (every Wednesday and Saturday) filled with exciting visits and activities such as: Tower Bridge Experience, Thames Cruise, Camden Market, the famous Changing of the Guard experience, Covent Garden, Natural History Museum, Trafalgar Square, shopping at popular Oxford Street, Portsmouth Spinnaker Tower … and many more…
- Social events in the evenings to include a disco and a meal out
- Quizzes and competitions such as Best Selfie of the week, Get-to-know-your-town, Treasure Hunt …
- A friendly and welcoming host family
- A fun location close to Brighton. Find out more about our Brighton English language centre
- You will always be placed with a friendly and welcoming host family
Theme for Summer school 2022
Some of the topics covered each week will be:
- Global Warming – is it all a Myth? Can we still save the Planet or is it far too late?
- Veganism – should we take a second look?
- Pop Culture – Why do we listen to people’s views just because they can hum a tune?
- Instagram – from obscurity to notoriety. Is an Instagram success something to aspire to?
- Brexit – v – EU – Good move or Bad for the UK to go it alone?
- Promote your own home town to tourists or make a new sustainable one
- How Brighton has changed through the ages. Social demographics in holidays & travel
- Etiquette and social expectations the changes over 50 years across Europe
- Culture and customs are the Brits really Europeans – what is the difference?
- Brave New World Post Covid – will the changes stay in place?
- Save the Seas. What we can do to save the animals living under the water
- Diversity – should we do more or have we gone too far?
What you need to know
Our summer school is based in Shoreham-by-sea, near Brighton.
- Homestay with students of another nationality (mother tongue)
- Classes targeted to your ability and level of English
- Activity leaders or English teachers accompany students on all excursions and activities
- We operate a strict No Drugs or Alcohol Policy
All Inclusive Course Fees
£1000 for 2 weeks
£1,450 for 3 weeks
All Inclusive of Full Board Accommodation; Excursions; and classes
After Classes – What happens then?
Why our small groups Summer school is one of the best on offer
Benefits of this programme are, you spend all day with the tutor speaking English and with 16 hours of formal classes per week plus afternoon activities including project work and two full day excursions, this will help you to improve your English, no problem. If timing is a concern, this is the course of choice, as you will be able to progress quickly. Students progress quickly with this intensive course, which incorporates some fun elements as well. Tutors aim to create tailored programmes that best suit how and what your group is able to learn. Being dedicated learners makes the experience even more rewarding as teachers are further encouraged to go the extra mile. Practical elements of the language will be introduced in the form of magazines, newspapers, English local publications, as well as listening to BBC radio. This offers one of the best ways to introduce parts of speech to include idioms, phrasal verbs and paraphrasing.
Frequently Asked Questions
All students will stay with local host families and will share accommodation with students of a different nationality (“Buddy” process). They will have full board accommodation during their stay – breakfast, packed lunch and dinner. We use our host families all year round and they are friendly, helpful and welcoming and offer good quality accommodation. We try to place students as near to the school as possible.
Excursions will include a walking sightseeing tour of London via Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards Parade and then a visit to either Covent Garden or the London Museums (Natural History, Science, V&A, National Gallery) a visit to either the London Eye, followed by Emirates Airline Cable Car, workshops at London Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, London Zoo, Hampton Court Palace + Gardens & Maze, visit to Greenwich market and park, Thames River Cruise, shopping in Oxford Street, Camden Market. Trips to Portsmouth will include a boat trip around the harbour and the Spinnaker Tower and a visit to Charles Dicken’s House or Sherlock Holmes Museum. Our Chichester trip would include a visit to the Air Arena (Trampoline Park), visit to the Cathedral plus free time for shopping. We also visit Arundel so children have a chance to see the historic English town famous for its Georgian buildings, medieval Arundel Castle and some wonderful views over the gardens and Swanbourne Lake with the option of a boat hire that we include within the trip.
We check the welfare of all our students each morning and any problems, sickness / lost property and general wellbeing are dealt with as quickly as possible by our onsite welfare officer. The emergency contact number is available for students to call 24h in case of any problems that could occur during their stay. The number can be found on the ELH wristbands that we provide for all our students on their first day at our school. We always advise them to wear the bands during the entire stay (from arrival until departure day). Our WhatsAp Group for students ensure they are always able to keep in touch with us.
We offer a good variation of afternoon activities together with one evening activity per week either an evening at the Brighton Pier funfair or a disco evening where students from our school can integrate with students of other language schools. The venue is prepared especially for the underage students and guardians are there to look after their health and safety during the party. Please note that on all excursions and activities groups are always accompanied by ELH activity leaders in a ratio of minimum 1:10. You can find out more about all our activities by visiting our blog
Students will travel to School either by foot or via the local bus service. Students will require a weekly Bus Pass to participate fully in the afternoon activities and excursions. We therefore recommend the purchase of a bus pass and we can help the students do this on their first day in School.
Thoughts from our Italian activity leader
Thoughts from our Spanish activity leader
We are located
Brighton (Shoreham by sea)
On the south coast of England and just 1 hour from Central London, Brighton is the perfect base to have fun at the seaside and explore the wonders of our capital city.
Brighton’s location has made it a popular destination for tourists, renowned for its diverse communities, quirky shopping areas and a large cultural music and arts scene.
We have family homestay accommodation based around the Brighton area including Hove, Shoreham by Sea, Worthing, Lancing and Steyning.
Brighton is so special
Brighton has also been called the UK’s “hippest city”, and “the happiest place to live in the UK”.
- Brighton attracted 7.5 million day visitors in 2015/16
- 4.9 million overnight visitors
- The most popular seaside destination in the UK for overseas tourists.