Braintree proper lies on the River Brain and to the south of Stane Street, the Roman road from Braughing to Colchester, while Bocking lies on the River Blackwater and to the north of the road. The two are sometimes referred to together as Braintree and Bocking, and since 1934 they form the civil parish of that name.
Our students learn much more than physical skills through their participation in athletics. The collaborative experience of pursuing and attaining a common goal in athletics is unique, as it is combined with interscholastic competition. We are proud of our winning tradition.
Braintree English Language Homestays
Please click here if you are looking for adult English language courses in Braintree»
Braintree, a bustling market town surrounded by picturesque villages set in the most beautiful rolling countryside. Located in Essex, Braintree is easy to reach from London via the M11 or A12 and also an easy drive to Cambridge. If you fancy a day at the seaside, then Frinton on Sea is just along the road. A wonderful place to paddle in the water and enjoy an ice cream
Many medieval villages are here such as Witham; Coggeshall with its Monks Barn, remains of an abbey and homes of wealthy wool merchants – but now more famously known for its craft and antique shops and don’t forget to include a visit to Castle Hedingham, with its many timber framed houses are a fascination to our many foreign visitors. Be sure to also visit the magnificent castle keep of the De Vere family. Old fashioned tea shops, unique giftware and local produce markets happen most days in the Town Centre and for rainy days there is always the Freeport Designer Shopping Village for all those students who wish to shop!
Travelling to and Getting Around Braintree Essex
Braintree is conveniently close to excellent transport links which make it accessible to travellers in the UK and Europe:
- Airports. A regular bus service between Colchester and Stansted runs frequently through Braintree. Other routes include the A131, which serve people between Sudbury and Chelmsford, and the B1018, which links Braintree to Witham.
- Trains. Braintree has two railway stations, Braintree and Braintree Freeport next to the Freeport shopping area. Trains depart from Braintree station to Witham, where the Braintree Branch Line joins the Great Eastern Main Line to London Liverpool Street. Service frequency is approximately once an hour during the daytime.
- The main roads into and out of Braintree include the A120, which serves as the town’s main bypass. It provides a quick link to the M11 and Stansted Airport, situated almost 16 miles (26 km) away from the town to the west. It also leads to the town of Colchester and the A12 to the east.
- Coaches/Buses. Regular bus services run within Braintree and services also include routes to neighbouring towns and cities, including Chelmsford, Colchester, Halstead and Witham. These bus services are all run by First Essex, however, there are other services in the area, including Arriva Shires & Essex, Hedingham Omnibuses, Regal Busways and the occasional service from Stephensons of Essex. There is a shuttle bus service to Stansted Airport that runs regularly through the town also.
Homestays in Braintree
All of our programmes are built around family homestays, which is where the student stays with their tutor or a host family during their stay. This gives the student a comfortable, friendly, home away from home for their stay. Find out more about our homestay accommodation.
School Group Short stays in Braintree
If a School Group wants to enjoy a break in England without English lessons then our host families in the Braintree area offer the perfect choice of accommodation. Staying in their home student will be able to fully immerse themselves in beautiful British countryside the traditions and culture of the region and benefit from their hosts local knowledge to discover the real England.
Short Stays with lessons in Braintree
Short Stays with lessons are very popular and can be booked at our Braintree. Typically the lessons are available 3 to 4 mornings a week and focus on conversation and confidence building.
Find out more about School Group Short Stays.
1-2-1 tuition in Braintree
From improving conversational skills to preparing for Exams our Braintree homestay tutors can provide 1-2-1 or 2-2-1 tuition for all levels of student. Our English 1-2-1 courses include:
- General English – beginner, conversational, advanced
- Exam preparation – Prepa Bac, Baccalaureate, Maturita
- Hot House Intensive English
Find out more about our homestay tuition.